CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, August 21, 2008

No T.V...Horror or Happiness?

Playing at Kollen Park
Jordan trying out a balancing act.
Jordan and Kyler
Caleb (with his reqested mohawk hair style) and Kyler
Somewhere there's a bear back there.
Obviously, something has caught their eyes.
My son...the Lion
And how about a pirate? I wonder which one would win the fight!

Last Saturday our satellite went out, which meant very little T.V. for a few days. We did pull out the rabbit ears and ended up getting a fairly decent reception to watch the Olympics at night, but other than that, our T.V. was mostly powered off. I figured I would have oodles of time to blog, read, scrapbook, and whatever else came to mind. But, the reality of no T.V. didn't seem to give me any of those extra free moments. I managed to NOT read a single page of my book (other than my scriptures...I try and read those every morning while quietness is in the house. That's my peace for the day). I still have 6 months of pictures piled up on my desk begging to be scrapbooked, which has sadly lost my interest over time. And I didn't even catch up on my blogging (this is mainly due to the fact that I inadvertently left my camera home almost every time we went out of the house). Needless to say, I failed these minor goals, but our family still ended up having a pretty fun weekend minus a T.V.

We went to the zoo and the kids got to paint their faces for FREE (one of my favorite words and a bonus for mom and dad)! We had a great barbecue with our friends, the Richards. We released 3 more monarchs (and somehow managed to find 4 ..wait it might be 5 new ones... and the cycle continues). We had a fun playdate at the park. We finally pulled out a bucket and washed our Van and cleaned out the garage, and swept the deck. All of that, and I also managed to pull together a pretty good Webelos calendar since I am now the Webelos leader and I needed a 4 month plan of action. (Whoever thought I would be great in scouts might have had a little too much Nyquil last night. Remember I'm the girl who doesn't even like to camp...I guess we'll find my inner scout somewhere)

My biggest surprise was that I realized I didn't really miss having the noise of the television going throughout the day. Sure, I loved watching the Olympics at night (I'm a bit of a junkie), but it was quite refreshing to focus on things other than what might be playing on T.V. at the moment. They came and fixed the satelite yesterday, so life will resume as normal, but I think the boys and I will be pulling out our Fablehaven book today, and minor miracle here...I am even managing to put together a blog entry this morning. I guess I'm still not missing the tele that much....Not quite enough to tackle my scrapbook problem, but maybe eventually! Hmmmm....Perhaps if the electric goes out! That would mean no T.V., no Internet, no cooking, augggh...no light. Okay...it was just a thought.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

We have had alot less tv this summer and have loved it. During the school year it usually doesn't get turned on until after dinner, homework and baths and then the boys usually just want to play before bed. I love it!

Looks like you guys are enjoying the last little bit of summer that you have until school starts. Have a great day!

Jacqui said...

Funny how time slips away from us. I find myself having to take a breather and say "alright...it's ok to not be so busy." Braxton and I were walking down Center street the other day and I found myself telling him to hurry...rather than enjoy the moment as he was taking in all the action and looking at so many new things. It won't be about what I got done here on earth, but rather the relationships with my family and the gospel. I know I'm a slow learner. Good luck with that scrapbooking...I'm in the same boat. Just lost the motivation for now.