The 4th of July is an amazing day, but this year my boys really wanted to go camping. This thought became more prevalent when their dad got a new tent for Father's day. Now most people would be quite fine, maybe even fond, of the idea of sleeping outdoors with the bugs and grubs. I, however, am not of these people. I am one of those people who prefer the indoors. I enjoy my indoor plumbing...my pillowtop mattress...my refrigerator stocked with milk, fruit, and cheese that stay cool. I like to kick on the air conditioning and read a good book. I enjoy hitting a button on my remote and have instant access to a favorite television program. For lack of a better word, I prefer the pampered lifestyle.
Now, being the mother of 3 boys has caused me, on more than one occasion, to switch my way of thinking and learn to enjoy things I otherwise would not. For instance, I have learned to look at bugs and only grimace ummm, about 60% of the time....(spiders are a different story, but I am slowly learning). I have also learned that blood is not always disgusting...usually it's a new war wound, and something to be proud of. I have learned that a face caked in 3 inches of mud can somehow still be considered cute...or as my 3 year old would say awesome!! See, I really have done a lot of learning, but with all of this learning I've been doing, I have still not learned to love the idea of sleeping outdoors. So for this 4th of July I did what any sensible mom would do. I helped pitch this massive 8 man tent in my backyard, set out sleeping bags, sprayed down my kids with a gallon of mosquito repellent, had Kyler set up his telescope, grabbed a mini lantern run on batteries for them, and sent my kids along with my poor husband out back and into their tent. I'm pretty sure I was laughing to myself (maybe it was out loud) and thinking I would see their sleepy eyed faces in the morning, while I thoroughly enjoyed the last few minutes of that night in peace. There would be no fighting...no yelling, " Go to sleep... right NOW...or else" No last minute potty breaks or requests for one last drink. Just peace and quiet was in store for me. For the first time in my married life it was going to be me and my pampered self alone. Hmmm, what to do. Read, watch a show, do my nails....the possibilities were endless!
Well here's a newsflash....I ended up watching Judge Judy at midnight on top of my pillowtop mattress with a cold drink in hand alone...and wishing it was noisier in my home. Any sound of snoring at that moment would have been a welcome relief because I realized I missed my husband and kids way more than I thought I could. I would have gladly taken their faces caked in mud giving me one more goodnight hug and kiss with one more story that couldn't possibly wait until morning or I might forget moments....I was even a wee bit jealous that Kevin was spending this time with them while I was cooped up in the house...Not quite jealous enough to run out and join them in the mosquito infested backyard, but hey....I'm learning! Eventually it will come.
I'm pretty sure as a mom of three boys, camping will happen, just don't let it happen next weekend. Next weekend I plan to hotel it while on a little vacation with my family. I'm still a pampered girl at heart, but in spirit...I'm the best camper their is!
1.jpg)






4 comments:
Tami
You didn't mention morning of me getting hit in the face by Caleb telling me that the sun was up and it was over and it was time to go inside no more camping. The sun said it was over. Love ya,
Kevin
That's true...I do remember a very sleepy Kevin dragging his feet into our bed by 7 a.m. declaring the sun told him he had to wake-up.
Sorry about that babe, but Caleb was apparently not tired after staying up until almost 1 a.m. watching fireworks and playing in a tent! At least he woke up with a huge smile!
What a cute post! I am still smiling! I too am the pampered type. I would have been right there watching Judge Judy with you!!!!!
Oh, Tami I can totally relate as a mom of three boys. I loved this post, it was very entertaining. I am continuing to learn new things from my boys everday. Boys are such fun, aren't they! I wouldn't trade them for three girls thats for sure, one girl is enough for me. Take care.
Post a Comment