CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, July 20, 2008

The City Beautiful

Last week we had the opportunity to travel to Nauvoo, Illinois which is also known as "The City Beautiful". It's easy to see why it is known as that once you go. Nauvoo is a small town nestled along the Mississippi River in Western Illinois. It is a city rich with LDS history, and many buildings and homes have been restored to be accurate representations of what they were like in the mid 1800's. As you tour different areas you get a feel of what life was like for the early pioneers. Whether you're touring the Printing Office, the Brickyard, or Brigham Young's home, you see how well these Saints came together to build a beautiful city in a matter of a couple of years. Of course, the main focal point of Nauvoo was missing for a long time. The Nauvoo temple was destroyed by fire and tornado's when the mobs forced the Saints to abandon the city and move west in chilling winter conditions. As the Saints crossed the frozen Mississippi they could see the sacred building they had spent the last few years building being consumed by fire. I cannot imagine the devastation they must have felt to see a House of the Lord be given so little regard.

In April, 1999 President Hinckley announced plans to rebuild the temple. I remember the excitement I felt the day I heard the news. Thousands of members of the LDS church looked forward to the day when we could pay tribute to the early Saints for the sacrifices they made on our behalf. The new temple was built, and on June 27, 2002, the temple was dedicated. This was a poignant date because it also happened to be the anniversary date of Joseph and Hyrum Smith's martyrdom. Once again a temple lights the sky and stands as a beacon in the heart of Nauvoo. Immense gratitude does not even begin to describe the feelings we had as we first spotted the temple from our car windows. It was a breathtaking sight. Walking around the landscaped grounds and witnessing dozens of other visitors feel the same awe we felt was an amazing experience. If you ever have the chance to go to Nauvoo you should go. It is a trip that will not disappoint you. I know our family left Nauvoo with a greater sense of love for the early Saints. It was powerful experience. It was a testimony builder, and I for one, can't wait to go back again. The City Beautiful has once again reclaimed its title.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had the same feelings when I visited Nauvoo and Carthage. I hope to return someday. I have recently gained a much stronger testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith and understand more of the principle of obedience as one of the primary ordinances of the Gospel. Obedience to keeping the commandments and trust in the Lord are crucial as we prepare for His second coming.

Love you Tami, Kevin, Kyler, Jordan and Caleb! Mom