CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Happy Unbirthday to Y-O-U!






Dear Fellow Bloggers...and Blogger Readers,
Remember those years, not so long ago, when you anxiously awaited the arrival of your birthday? It was the one day of the year set aside just for you. All the lavishness that went along with it was so exciting that you couldn't help but count down the months, days, and minutes until it finally arrived. When the first kids arrived at your doorstep with comic strip wrapped presents in hand, you thought you would burst from pure joy. Then, as soon as the last Rainbow Brite or Strawberry Shortcake present was unwrapped, you began a whole new countdown, anxious for next year to arrive.
Those were the days, and sadly they seem to be fading slightly as I grow older. No longer do I look at birthdays with the same kind of anticipation and excitement. Somewhere along the way they just became another day on the calendar. I think it was after an incredibly fun 16th birthday where I was "kidnapped" by my good friends (you know who you are...Ha! Ha!) and we went ice sledding down Old Main Hill in Logan. That was a blast.
Once I hit that magical number 16 though, birthdays lost some of their appeal. I still love and appreciate birthdays, after all it means I am another year older, which is a VERY good thing, but I no longer anticipate their arrival with the same level of excitement.
Instead I look forward to my kids birthday's and my husband's birthday. I love celebrating them. I can't wait to see their excitement when they wake up in the morning to see their room covered in streamers and balloons, or the happy cries I hear when they open present they really, really wanted. It's one of those things I live for now. It brings back the joy I used to feel for my own birthday, and the joy I hope they continue to feel for many years to come
So today...I would like to give a shout-out to all of you celebrating a
"Happy Unbirthday". Luckily, these happen way more than an actual birthday, but deserve just as much recognition...maybe even more because these are the days that truly make us who we are.
I hope you are able to find the time to celebrate chocolate covered noses, hugs from a loved one, the majestic sun as it sets, or see the beauty all around you. Find something that brings a moment of excitement to your day, and as I blow out the one solitary Spongebob Squarepants candle I found buried in my cupboard tonight, I will think of each of you and the blessings you are in my life. And, I will relish in this delicious creation of a cake my 3 wonderful boys made for me today to remind me it's okay to celebrate me. Each M&M or candy sprinkle I eat will remind me it's a special day (That's A LOT of reminding...just look at the cake). Afterall, it's my birthday!
Have a Happy, Wonderful, Awe-Inspiring Day!

Love,
Tami

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday mom!! hope you have a good one!!

Love,
Kyler

Lisa said...

You have such cute kids and what a darling cake! I sure look forward to reading your posts. They always make me sit back and think. Like tonight I was walking the dogs and I noticed the moon out at 7:30 when it was still so bright and sunny..It was so beautiful. Things we take for granted everyday, by ignoring, or not giving things the credit and time they deserve...listen to me ramble on! Hope you had a great bday! You deserve it!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you..Happy Birthday to you..Happy Birthday dear Tami...Happy Birthday to YOU!

Hope you had a happy day! Thanks for being such a great friend.

Mandy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TAMI (late). I totally know what you're talking about with birthdays being just another day on the calendar. I sometimes forget how old I am. I have to physically do the math.
I hope you had a wonderful birthday! You deserve it!