

Father's Day this year started off with Kevin at work (as is the case most days), but he was able to slip away for an hour to come teach Elder's Quorum and get cookies the Relief Society. I'm pretty sure the cookies were a slightly stronger motivator than teaching was. Kevin's hour long visit also enabled Jordan to sing him his Father's Day song that was missed during Sacrament Meeting. Aaaaa, the sweet, operatic voice of a 6 year old.
Around 5 o'clock that night Kevin was able to come home where we put him to work barbecuing for all of us. I'm pretty sure my dad thought that was a backwards deal, but quite honestly you wouldn't want me cooking on a barbecue. Unless you like your burgers blackened and charred, I'd be better off sticking indoors with an oven by my side.
After a quick and easy meal we walked around the State Beach on hunt for caterpillars. Can I just say, it is AWESOME living next to Lake Michigan. Talk about nature at it's best. It is absolutely breathtaking! Our beach has bunches of milkweed, which is the only plant Monarch caterpillars eat. Kyler loves to scout them out every day in hopes of finding a couple. That evening, we ended up finding 3 baby Monarchs that we toted home to raise. We're up to 7 now, and I'm happy to report, all seem healthy and fine as of today. That was not the case with our last batch where all 11 died of a bacterial infection. Somebody really should buy me a pair of scrubs. I'm pretty sure I am now qualified for an honorary Monarch Nursing Certificate from whomever may offer one. Their bound to be found somewhere on this planet. Seriously, I've learned way too much about parasites and diseases of caterpillars lately. I am now in the know-how for checking all sorts of nasty infections these little insects can carry. Somebody at least say eeewwww for me! It is not always a pleasant (or sweet smelling) experience!
At least caterpillars are easy to clean and typically easy to care for. All they require is a small space and a leaf to eat. Can you imagine living on a diet of lettuce leaves all day and being completely content. Just munch, munch, munch for a few weeks, then when you are feeling too fat for your own good, create a chrysalis to hide out in for a couple of weeks, and BOOM, emerge a beautiful butterfly. What a life! Well, except for the fact that they have an incredibly short lifespan. The average butterfly only lives for 2-3 weeks after going through that major transformation. Oh well, caterpillars are the best my kids can hope for since mom has banned all other living creatures in her house. Man, I can be tough when it comes to that!
Have a pleasant day, and I hope you are able take a moment to notice some of Heavenly Father's beautiful creations around you.
Love,
Tami
1.jpg)






2 comments:
I'm pretty sure I'd be living on the beach. Sounds wonderful!! I'm so happy we are able to blog and see into the lives of those we love and miss. I'm loving all the pictures.
Sounds like a wonderful Father's Day! I would love to live by the beach, I am so jealous of you guys! The pictures are great of you guys at the beach. Thanks for sharing.
We too bar b-qued for Father's Day, James actually, but I made homemade rolls (a first in a very long time) and yummy baked potatoes. We had a very realaxing day.
Post a Comment