Our family just returned from a whirlwind trip around the Washington DC area. Kevin's dad, Blaine and step-mom, Debbie flew out to meet us. We had a blast together and toured as much as we possibly could cram into our 7 days there. On Sunday we managed to make it to Mt. Vernon, home of President George Washington followed that afternoon by a highly sprinted walk through Arlington Cemetery to watch the final Changing of the Guards before taking a slight breather and basking in the reverence the cemetery offered. As the sun started to set we walked around Thomas Jefferson's memorial and were in awe at how centered everything was around a Supreme Creator. It was very evident that all the Presidents and Founding Fathers tried to keep God at the center of their decisions when trying to decide how to shape our country. It was quite a way to spend a Sabbath Day.
The Changing of the Guards; Arlington Cemetery
Monday morning we woke up and decided to check out a bunch of the monuments and memorials they have at the mall. We saw Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, the World War II memorial, Korean Memorial, and the Vietnam Memorial. Our feet were so sore by the end of the day that we also put in an "emergency" stop to Kohl's to buy some better walking shoes. Debbie and I had feet that were much happier with us after our newly acquired Sketchers purchase.
Wednesday was a great day. We arranged to have a tour of the Capitol Building and the White House. The Capitol tour was especially impressive. Unfortunately, after a great morning 5 out of 7 us came down with a pretty bad cold. That wasn't enough to keep the Scott family down for long though. We did go back to the hotel early to rest for a bit, but then Kevin and I had the opportunity to go to the DC temple which was the highlight of the trip for me. The temple is gorgeous inside and out. Thanks Blaine and Debbie for watching our sick kidlets so Kevin and I could rejuvenate our Spirits.
Thursday was suppose to be a more laid back day with only the National Zoo on schedule, but either the zoo was a lot bigger than we anticipated, or our colds were having a bad affect on us because we were dragging by late afternoon. We ended up leaving around 4:30 to go to "The Cheesecake Factory" before relaxing in our hotel room for the remainder of the evening.
1.jpg)






9 comments:
Oh Tami, it looks wonderful! I was wondering were you have been the past few weeks or so. I would love to go to the Washington Temple and do a session. Do you remember when we did baptism's there? In fact do you remember the D.C. Trip that we took, with Missy and saw all of the sites? Those were the days. Now you have made it back with your family. I am jealous! Glad you are back online!
I remember going to DC quite a few times when I lived in N.Y. I used to love going down there every chance I got. I have great pictures of us there. I should dig them out again and reminisce. I loved those days!
Wow what a fun trip for your family. I went when I was younger but only for a few days! I would like to take my family soon. I love the DC temple it is one of my fav's!!
So glad you could go and have a great time! What a well deserved trip and you made some wonderful memories that your cute boys will treasure forever!
What an amazing and educational trip.
With as many times as I've been back there, I still haven't seen very much. I can't wait to got visit there again. Looks like you had a great time...and saw a lot.
Wow! You did so much while you were there. Isn't Arlington so neat as well as the changing of the guard. That was one of my favorite parts when we were there last year. That and the temple of course. I am glad that you had a great time-especially making so many wonderful memories as a family!
So Lib...We loved Arlington Cemetery too, but crazy thing happened while we were there waiting for the changing. An older lady apparently tried to cut through along the side of the grave, and the gaurd shouted real loudly at her to leave the sacred grounds and had his gun poised on her until she left. She was shaking so badly. Poor lady! As many times as I have been there I have never seen something like that happen. The actual ceremony is so incredible though. All of Washington has some special sacredness about it!
Jacqui...You need to get back. I could have easily used 2 weeks there to accomplish more. We left with so much still unseen. I hope you get back to visit with your Uncle someday soon. B would love the Air and Space museum!
It looks like you hit all the "hot spots" of DC. What a fun trip! I miss living there sometimes. There is always so much going on and you feel like you are right in on all the action all the time. A truly exciting place! I'm glad you got to take the boys there to enjoy our nation's capitol. And as for the Primary Presentation, I'm sure that if you are practicing with them, all will go well.
Post a Comment