CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Mothers Day to remember.


It's been another memorable Mother's Day for me. I love days like today. It was just the sort of day I needed to lift my spirits and bring many happy smiles to my face. It all began this morning when my kids dressed up to serve me my choice of breakfast in bed (Special K with berries...I wasn't looking forward to a messy clean-up, and cereal seemed like the perfect solution). I was also given a handful of homemade cards (my favorite) and shared a few laughs with everyone before heading to church.

Seeing this first thing in the morning will put a giggle in anybodies day!

Sabbath Days are always a favorite of mine, but today was extra special because Kyler was the first speaker during Sacrament Meeting, and he gave the most beautiful talk about mothers. I told my mom I'd post his talk since she had to miss it (blame it on those 1,500 miles that separate us). Being the great mom and grandma she is, she was sad she couldn't be here to hear it in person, so here it is for you mom! Can I just add, I am one incredibly lucky mom. I'm not sure why I was blessed with such exemplary boys, but each one of them amaze me, and I'm truly grateful to my Father in Heaven for the blessings they are in my life. This is the talk Kyler typed up in preparation of today. At the age of 13 Kyler's already a gifted writer and speaker, and unlike me who's a bundle of nerves whenever I'm asked to speak, Kyler stays calm and collected and was able to talk without using his notes too often.

Kyler Sacrament Talk- Mother's Day

Well, I should probably start off with Happy Mother's Day! It must have been about a year since I last spoke because I'm back up at the pulpit once again. About a week and a half ago Brother MacPherson called and asked me to give a talk today. I am very glad I got this opportunity to speak to you on this beautiful Mother's Day. Brother MacPherson gave me the topic of mothers. Mothers are one of the main reasons the world goes around. Mothers try to always be happy and bring the spirit into the home. If they have kids, they put them first, and they are the protectors of the family.

In "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" it says, "Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. " I remember during the Primary program a few years ago I was given this quote to say when my class was up for speaking. I believe this is extremely important. Back in 2007 during the October General Conference Julie B. Beck the Relief Society President gave a talk called, "Mother Who Knows." In her talk she said, Mothers who know are nurturers. This is their special assignment and role under the plan of happiness. To nurture means to cultivate, care for, and make us grow." I find this to be very true. I know my mom helps me to grow and she cares for me.

My mom is one of the most wonderful persons in my eyes, and I hope that this is the same for all of us. My mom cares for and nurtures me. She keeps me safe and makes sure I stay on the path of righteousness. I don't know what I would do without her. She makes sure I read the scriptures, prays, and helps me when I need it.

As a few of you may know I have recently taken up geocaching for Boy Scouts. Geocaching is pretty much an advanced game of treasure hunting. People get containers and hide them in a "cache" They figure out the coordinates of their cache and post them online. Then others download the coordinates into a GPS and try to find the cache. I got to try geocaching for the first time on my birthday when I got my GPS, and my mom agreed to take me and my brothers out. The cache was located in Helder Park. It turns out it was in the woods of the park. Now, for those of you who know my mom you probably know she's not a big outdoors person, but she was doing what Jordan, Caleb, and I wanted to do. At first my GPS wouldn't get a signal so she waited. Then when we finally started we ended up in the middle of thorn bushes, and I don't mean just a few. They were everywhere. Then, to top all of it off as we were walking along the river bank with me in the lead I spotted a snake camouflaged in the leaves. It was maybe at the most a foot long and was sunbathing. My mom went out of her way to avoid the snake because she's afraid of them. Then she hears a rustling in the dry leaves and looked down to see a snake slithering across her foot that was close to two feet long! That was the final straw. She jumped in the air and ran away from the snake. After that she took Caleb back to the park to play and let Jordan and I continue to look for the cache, which we never found. I think my mom was extremely brave to even step foot into those woods, let alone go deep into them when she saw the thorn bushes, but she did it because Jordan, Caleb, and I wanted to. Now, if any of you are wondering, my mom now makes sure that she knows everything about a cache before she agrees to go. A mother will put her children's wants and needs in front of hers 99% of the time. My mom was making sure me, Jordan, and Caleb were safe.

Last Mother's Day Jordan, Caleb, and mostly I made her a book that she ended up paying for (ha! ha!) I gathered some of our pictures and had dad, Jordan, Caleb and myself write her a letter with a hand-drawn picture. I will read it quickly now:
(Kyler went on to read the book he wrote for me last year minus the personal letters. I had forgotten just how much I treasured that book until it was read again today.) It reads:

This book is dedicated to our mom.
Thanks for always being there for us!!
Happy Mother's Day 2010!!


Happy Mother's Day, Mom!
This is your special day, to celebrate the 1,001 things you do for us every day.


You always have time for us, no matter what you have to do.
Whether it's helping with homework, playing a game, or fixing a boo-boo.


We know we can count on you from beginning to end.
We love spending time with you.
You're our mother and best friend.


Have a wonderful day, mom.
You've earned it more ways than we can count.
We truly appreciate you, an endless and infinite amount!


Happy Mother's Day, Mom!
We love you!!


I think I am extremely lucky to have a mom as great as her. I just want to take a second to tell her I love her even though sometimes I may not show it. Mothers and Fathers are one of the most wonderful gifts our Heavenly Father has given us. We should treat them with respect and dignity. Thank you Mothers and Happy Mother's Day!

Just to echo my own child~ I am grateful for all the mothers out there who work tirelessly to help raise and nurture the children on this earth. All women, whether or not they have been blessed with children of their own, can help fulfill the role of mothers. Whether you're a sister, an aunt, a teacher, a good family friend, or a mom~ Mother's Day is a day to honor all of you and the divine attributes you have been given to help rear and raise our Father in Heaven's precious children. Happy Mother's Day!!

No comments: